The Devil Bat is an American 1940 comedy-horror movie directed by Jean Yarbrough (She-Wolf of London; The Creeper; Hillbillys in a Haunted House) from a screenplay by John Thomas Neville, based on a story by George Bricker. It was produced by Producers Releasing Corporation (PRC).
The film stars Bela Lugosi, along with Suzanne Kaaren, Guy Usher, Yolande Mallott, and the comic team of Dave O’Brien and Donald Kerr as the protagonists. In 1946, a sequel titled Devil Bat’s Daughter was released.
Reviews [click links to read more]:
“As dire a PRC film as you could hope to see, with script, settings and acting and direction barely good enough to look like a movie and certainly more risible than horrific.” Alan Frank, The Horror Film Handbook (Batsford, 1982)
Cast and characters:
- Bela Lugosi as Doctor Paul Carruthers
- Suzanne Kaaren as Mary Heath
- Dave O’Brien as Johnny Layton
- Guy Usher as Henry Morton
- Yolande Mallott as Maxine
- Donald Kerr as “One-Shot” McGuire
- Edward Mortimer as Martin Heath
- Gene O’Donnell as Don Morton
- Alan Baldwin as Tommy Heath
- John Ellis as Roy Heath
- Arthur Q. Bryan as Joe McGinty
- Hal Price as Chief Wilkins
- John Davidson as Prof. Raines
- Billy Griffith as Coroner
- Wally Rairdon as Walter King
MOVIES & MANIA is genuinely independent and we rely solely on the very minor income generated by affiliate links and online ads to maintain and grow our online presence. Please support us by not blocking ads on our website. Thank you.