Scream Queens is an American horror comedy anthology television series created by Ryan Murphy (American Horror Story), Brad Falchuk (Glee) and Ian Brennan (Glee).
The first season premiered on Fox on September 22, 2015. Season Two began September 20, 2016.
Emma Roberts, Abigail Breslin, Billie Lourd, Taylor Lautner, John Stamos, and Jamie Lee Curtis.
Ryan Murphy stated that in every episode a cast member is killed off, saying, “It’s very much like Ten Little Indians. There’s a real tune-in factor because it’s like, Who’s going to be picked off this week? And also who is the killer? Every episode, you get clues as to who the killer is going to be and then all of these clues accumulate.”
Season One focused on the Kappa Kappa Tau sorority at Wallace University, led by Chanel Oberlin (Emma Roberts), that is threatened by Dean Cathy Munsch (Jamie Lee Curtis); leading to events that reignite a 20-year old murder mystery, with the re-emergence of the Red Devil serial killer, who begins targeting the sorority members…
Season Two was set in a hospital, where some of the most fascinating and bizarre medical cases are under observation…
Borders on constant hysteria but is relatively amusing if you can handle the sensory overload and unsubtle political jibes.
Adrian J Smith, MOVIES and MANIA
“Shiny, gory and whip-smart, Scream Queens thus attempted to pummel the viewer into submission with sheer, rictus-grinning relentlessness. And it worked.” Ed Power, The Telegraph
“The satire is sharp, including a scene in which one sister texts with her killer as he’s trying to kill her. But the two-hour premiere does itself no favors, so overstuffed with scares, silliness, intrigues and occasional moments of real horror that it fails to coalesce into something resembling coherence.” Vicki Hyman, nj.com
“Similarities to past horror/comedies aside, Scream Queens is successful in its mission to entertain. While it may not have the broad appeal FOX is counting on, it certainly has the performers and creative tools to craft an enjoyable ride. And although the focus for many won’t be on narrative, Scream Queens also has a fun murder mystery to solve.” Daniel Johnson, Screen Rant
“Get past the baubles, though, and the series simply feels too derivative to be truly exciting or particularly suspenseful. So while the casting and format should be enough to help Scream Queens make some initial noise ratings-wise, creatively speaking, there’s just not much here to shout about.” Brian Lowry, Variety
Main cast and characters:
- Emma Roberts as Chanel Oberlin; the merciless president of the Kappa Kappa Tau sorority at Wallace University.
- Skyler Samuels as Grace Gardner; a Kappa Kappa Tau legacy and pledge who wants to uncover the mysteries surrounding Kappa and the recent murders
- Lea Michele as Hester Ulrich / Chanel #6; an awkward girl with scoliosis and Kappa Kappa Tau pledge who becomes Chanel’s new pseudo minion
- Glen Powell as Chad Radwell; Chanel’s womanizing, on-again/off-again boyfriend and the president of the Dickie Dollar Scholars fraternity
- Diego Boneta as Pete Martinez; the university’s newspaper editor, Grace’s love interest and her co-investigator
- Abigail Breslin as Chanel #5; a member of Kappa Kappa Tau and one of Chanel’s minions
- Keke Palmer as Zayday Williams; Grace’s streetwise roommate who has a genius IQ and a Kappa Kappa Tau pledge who challenges Chanel for the presidency of Kappa
- Nasim Pedrad as Gigi Caldwell; the sorority’s national president with a psyche stuck in the 1990’s.
- Lucien Laviscount as Earl Grey; a British member of the Dickie Dollar Scholars
- Oliver Hudson as Weston “Wes” Gardner; Grace’s father and a professor at Wallace University
- Billie Lourd as Chanel #3 (surname Swenson); a member of Kappa Kappa Tau and one of Chanel’s minions. She is allegedly the illegitimate daughter of infamous serial killer Charles Manson
- Jamie Lee Curtis as Cathy Munsch; the Dean of the university
New and future releases