Vanity Fair has posted the first images from Ghostbusters: Afterlife online:
The cast includes Paul Rudd, Finn Wolfhard, Mckenna Grace, Carrie Coon, Celeste O’Connor and Logan Kim. Dan Akroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Bill Murray and Ernie Hudson are back, presumably in cameo roles.
The first trailer was posted online on Monday 9th December.
The American supernatural comedy horror feature film was directed by Jason Reitman (filmmaker Ivan Reitman‘s son, who directed Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II) from a screenplay co-written with Gil Kenan (Poltergeist 2015; Monster House).
Dan Aykroyd has previously talked about the development of the new Ghostbusters movie, saying:
“Jason [Reitman] came up with this idea, which is just so good, everybody got it right away and understood. It will connect, better than anything, to the first movie. That’s about all I can say about it, but the two movies will connect, in a way that hasn’t been done before.”
In the past, Dan Aykroyd kept saying he was entering production on a previous Ghostbusters sequel that never emerged. It was an international take known as “Hellbent.” This would have transported the team to Scotland then back to a spirit-infested Manhattan (renamed “Manhellton” after a demonic takeover) with planned co-star Adam Baldwin in the villain role.
“We kind of lost interest for a while there. After the second movie, it was successful, but everybody went on to new things. We tried different stories. Nobody was happy with the story. I think Hellbent could have worked, but I had other collaborators there, and we were all a team. Harold [Ramis], Ivan [Reitman], myself, Bill [Murray]–no one found a story that we all liked.”
Sigourney Weaver previously confirmed that she will be returning as Dana Barrett in the developing Ghostbusters sequel set for release in 2020. Furthermore, Bill Murray is also reportedly returning.
In an interview with Parade Magazine, it says:
“She’s also set to reunite with Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd in the new Ghostbusters, due July 2020. ‘It’s going to be crazy working with the guys again!’ she says. She won’t reveal any details except to confirm she’s reprising her role as hauntee Dana Barrett.”
It has been widely reported that Mckenna Grace has been cast in the lead role, as confirmed by Jason Reitman on Twitter. Her previous genre roles include The Bad Seed (2018), The Haunting of Hill House, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and in Annabelle Comes Home.
Variety previously reported that Stranger Things and IT actor Finn Wolfhard and Carrie Coon had been cast. “The studio would not comment on plot details, but sources say the story will focus on a single mom and her family, with Coon playing the mom and Wolfhard playing her son. It’s currently unknown how that will connect to the new Ghostbusters team.”
Filming is due to begin this summer with a release date penned in for July 10, 2020.
Previously, one of the stars of the 2016 box office failure, Leslie Jones, took to Twitter to vent her “feelings”:
She tweeted, “So insulting. Like fck us. We dint count. It’s like something trump would do. (Trump voice) ”Gonna redo ghostbusteeeeers, better with men, will be huge. Those women ain’t ghostbusteeeeers” ugh so annoying. Such a dick move. And I don’t give fck I’m saying something!!
When the point is if they make this new one with all men and it does well which it will. It might feel that “boys are better” it makes my heart drop. Maybe I could have use different words but I’m allowed to have my feelings just like them.”
YouTuber Mr H Reviews responded to Leslie Jones’ tweet…
Director of the 2016 Ghostbusters Paul Feig has supported Leslie Jones’ comments but also said he’s open to Jason Reitman’s vision.
Feig tweeted: “An absolute honest to God never ending supply of bullshit and hate from these trolls. Leslie spoke her truth and I support her. I am very open to Jason’s new version of GB but am also sad that our 2016 team may not get to bust again. We all are. We’re forever proud of our movie.”