The New Mutants was originally due to be released by 20th Century Fox on April 13, 2018. However, this release was delayed for reshoots. It was then due to be released on August 2, 2019, but that was cancelled. The new owners of Fox, Disney, have now scheduled the movie for a theatrical release on April 3, 2020. This will apparently be the original cut, without reshoots.
After all the wait and studio procrastinating, it will be interesting to see what this horror/superhero hybrid is like…
The New Mutants is a 2018 science fiction horror film based on the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name. It is the eleventh entry in the X-Men film series but plays up a horror angle.
The film was directed by Josh Boone from a screenplay co-written with Knate Lee and stars Anya Taylor-Joy, Maisie Williams, Charlie Heaton, Henry Zaga, Blu Hunt, and Alice Braga.
Five young mutants, just discovering their abilities while held in a secret facility against their will, fight to escape their past sins and save themselves…
Cast and characters:
- Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana Rasputin / Magik: a Russian sorceress who “uses teleportation discs to travel.” She is the sister of Colossus.
- Maisie Williams as Rahne Sinclair / Wolfsbane: a Scottish mutant “struggling to reconcile her religious beliefs with her power to turn into a wolf.”
- Charlie Heaton as Sam Guthrie / Cannonball: a Kentuckian mutant “who can propel himself into the air and is invulnerable while doing so.”
- Henry Zaga as Roberto da Costa / Sunspot: “a Brazilian mutant with the ability to manipulate solar energy.”
- Blu Hunt as Danielle Moonstar / Mirage: a Native American mutant “who has the power to create illusions drawn from the fears and desires of a person’s mind.”
- Alice Braga as Cecilia Reyes: a mentor to the group, and “a medical doctor who has the ability to generate a protective bio-field around herself.”
Filming took place in Boston, Massachusetts, from July to September 2017, primarily at Medfield State Hospital (location for The Box and Shutter Island).