Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a 2015 American horror comedy romance feature film directed by Burr Steers from a screenplay co-written with David O. Russell, based on the 2009 novel of the same name by Seth Grahame-Smith.
The movie stars Lily James, Sam Riley, Jack Huston, Charles Dance and Matt Smith (a former Doctor Who).
Jane Austen’s classic tale of the tangled relationships between lovers from different social classes in 19th century England is faced with a new challenge — an army of undead zombies…
“There should be a visceral charge in watching Elizabeth and her sisters slo-mo strut their way through a high-society ball with swords drawn, slicing down every zombie in their midst. Yet it plays like a half-hearted riff on Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s uniquely feminist archness: Girls in corsets kicking undead ass…cool! Except not.” Keith Uhlich, The Hollywood Reporter
” …devotes a considerable portion of its third act to battles that feel inconsequential and gradually wear down any goodwill built up in the first and second acts, becoming tiresome to endure. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is, finally, everything one might have expected from its title, a triumph of marketing strategy overall.” Peter Martin, Twitch
Buy Blu-ray | DVD: Amazon.co.uk
“I’m sure that someone out there has great zombie mash-up/parody still to be made, but unfortunately, this isn’t it! The zombie aspects actually undermine the dramatic moments in the movie, and the action sequences are a massive disappointment. Lily James performance may be the only saving grace in the film, but to be honest, she deserved much, much better!” Kriss Pickering, UK Horror Scene
Cast and characters:
- Lily James as Elizabeth Bennet
- Sam Riley as Fitzwilliam Darcy
- Jack Huston as Mr. Wickham
- Bella Heathcote as Jane Bennet
- Douglas Booth as Mr. Bingley
- Matt Smith as Mr. Collins
- Charles Dance as Mr. Bennet
- Lena Headey as Lady Catherine de Bourgh
- Suki Waterhouse as Kitty Bennet
- Emma Greenwell as Caroline Bingley
- Ellie Bamber as Lydia Bennet
- Millie Brady as Mary Bennet
- Sally Phillips as Mrs. Bennet
- Aisling Loftus as Charlotte Lucas
- Dolly Wells as Mrs. Featherstone
- Tom Lorcan as Lieutenant Denny
- Hermione Corfield as Cassandra
- Jess Radomska as Annabelle Netherfield
Filming began on September 24, 2014, at West Wycombe House and Park, Buckinghamshire. During the Halloween weekend, actors were spotted shooting some scenes at Hatfield House in Hertfordshire. Later in early November, crews were filming at Basing House in Old Basing. On November 13, filming shifted to Frensham.
The film was released by Sony Screen Gems on February 5, 2016, in the United States, and by Lionsgate internationally.