YouTuber Mr. H has posted an update about Jordan Peele’s reboot of Candyman, based upon insider information gleaned from a test screening. Mr. H reckons the vibe is not good on this one and that Jordan Peele’s rapid ascendancy to being a major horror player is now seriously in doubt. Watch the video to see why…
Previously, both Bloody Disgusting and Arrow in the Head had reported that subject to studio confirmation, Tony Todd makes an appearance in the new Candyman movie. It has been noted that earlier this year Todd told with the YouTube channel SofaKingCoolOnline:
“Out of the blue I get a phone call from Jordan Peele. Yes, Jordan, you called me! And we’re still waiting for the contract, but the way he explained it to me was that it’s gonna be ‘applause-worthy moments’. That’s his words. And it’s flattering. No matter what happens with that, it’s going to just put renewed attention on the original.”
Principal production on the new Candyman movie has wrapped in Chicago, in the now-gentrified part of the city where the notorious Cabrini-Green housing projects of the firm movie once stood. Yahya Abdul-Mateen II has tweeted the following message:
“Hat tip of gratitude and love to our hard-working and brilliant film crew who make all the magic happen behind the curtains. Thank you to JORDAN PEELE and MGM for trusting me with this baby. Thank you to our director, NIA DACOSTA, for guiding me through and protecting my talent. I appreciate you. Thank you to my girl, TEYONAH PARRIS!!!! for making it fun and bringing it EVERY DAY, and to COLEMAN DOMINGO for adding your magic to the mix, as well as the rest of the cast. Most importantly thank you to CHICAGO and more specifically CABRINI-GREEN for hosting us and inviting us in to haunt the space for a few months. We promise to do our best to make it worth the while. Can’t wait to share this one with the world. In GRATITUDE! Over and out. #Candyman2020”
— Yahya Abdul-Mateen 2 (@yahya) September 27, 2019
It only seems like a few days ago that we had reported that more cast members have been confirming, Deadline has reported. Joining Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as the titular Candyman and the already confirmed Teyonah Parris, the production has also signed up Nathan Stewart-Jarrett (Misfits) and Colman Domingo (Fear the Walking Dead).
Previously, we reported that the reboot of the Candyman franchise is apparently going to confront the issue of toxic fandom head-on. Ian Cooper, the creative director of Jordan Peele’s MonkeyPaw productions recently told Deadline:
“We talk a lot about fans and the idea of appeasing fans and when you do that and how do you do that and when do you not do that. I think my issue with fandom is that it’s really problematic. It’s probably the most problematic thing facing the genre.”
As was recently noted by Movieweb on the same topic, toxic fandom isn’t just genre specific. Supposed fans of Star Wars forced Kelly Marie Tran and Daisy Ridley to ditch their social media accounts for just being involved in the franchise. Meanwhile, disgruntled Game of Thrones followers who were unhappy with the final season started petitions (!) to have another ending more suited to their own tastes. The new Candyman movie will apparently address such over-reactions. Ian Cooper said:
“It typically comes with a dogma that is abrasive and that is more resistant to change and permutation than you would think. I think what we’re trying to do with Candyman is both be mischievous in how we address the relationship to the first film but also be very satisfying.”
Ian Cooper went into more detail about Candyman and how it will relate to the first movie. Horror fans have been worried about the movie, but since Tony Todd is officially on board, it has eased some fears. However, it doesn’t look like everything is going to fit together in an obvious way.
Cooper explains further:
“What we’re doing with Candyman and how Jordan is crafting it on the page is going to be very exciting and rewarding to audiences that haven’t seen the original film as well as people who’ve seen the original film. In a broad sense of the word, this film will stand alone if you’ve never heard of a film called Candyman and will dovetail in a pretty complicated and interesting way to the original. In short, I think this will really fit in with what we’re doing with Us and did with Get Out in a way that will be circuitous.”
Original Candyman icon Tony Todd will apparently have a cameo role in the new production.
Candyman is a forthcoming 2020 American supernatural horror feature film reboot (or “spiritual sequel”) of the 1990s franchise directed by Nia DaCosta and produced by Jordan Peele (director of Us; Get Out and producer of forthcoming TV series’ Lovecraft Country and The Twilight Zone) via his Monkeypaw Productions. The original 1992 Candyman movie was loosely based on Clive Barker‘s story The Forbidden and starred Tony Todd as the iconic titular supernatural killer.
It has previously been reported that Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (Us) will play the new Candyman in the 2020 reboot.
Jordan Peele told Variety:
“The original was a landmark film for black representation in the horror genre. Alongside Night of the Living Dead, Candyman was a major inspiration for me as a filmmaker — and to have a bold new talent like Nia at the helm of this project is truly exciting. We are honored to bring the next chapter in the Candyman canon to life and eager to provide new audiences with an entry point to Clive Barker’s legend.”
MGM Motion Picture Group president Jonathan Glickman added:
“We cannot wait for the world to see what the mind-blowing combination of Jordan, Win, and Nia bring to the legend of Candyman. They have created a story that will not only pay reverence to Clive Barker’s haunting and brilliant source material but is also thoroughly modern and will bring in a whole new generation of fans.”
Universal Pictures will handle domestic theatrical distribution and will release the new Candyman theatrically on June 12, 2020.
Actor Tony Todd recently told Syfy:
“I have mixed feelings because I thought they were gonna make this 15 years ago. If this had been 10 years ago when I had heard news, I would have been devastated. I would have fought for it. Now I’m in a different place.”
Continuing he said, “I’ve got so many other options that even if they make it without me, which I doubt, the attention the new movie will create will lead folks back to the original [film]because people like to see the source material.
Todd added: In 2018, I think there are a few neighborhoods that could use some Candyman justice, you know what I’m saying?” He told the site. “I’m just happy that as an African-American man, that Candyman has once again been given the nod to enter people’s consciousness.”
He also said: “I hope that they don’t dance around the relationship between Candyman and the love of his life, the reason for his death and that they are actually allowed to kiss. [Back then] it was rare that African-American male film stars got to kiss any of the white leading ladies they worked with. I’m just speaking my mind here.”