‘She’s a killer’
Christine is a 1983 American supernatural horror film directed by John Carpenter (Halloween; The Fog; The Thing) from a screenplay by Bill Phillips, adapted from the novel of the same name by Stephen King. The movie stars Keith Gordon, John Stockwell, Alexandra Paul, Robert Prosky and Harry Dean Stanton.
Set in 1978, the film is about a sentient automobile named “Christine” and its effects on its teenaged owner…
Reviews [click links to read more]:
“The early parts of the film are engaging and well acted, creating a believable high-school atmosphere. Unfortunately, the later part of the film is slow in developing, and it unfolds in predictable ways.” The New York Times
“All of this works rather well as black comedy. But from the horror perspective, Carpenter is only the latest in a long line of filmmakers who have been seduced by King’s sheer plausibility as a writer. Off the page, a 1958 Plymouth is no more scary than the St. Bernard which romped through Cujo.” Time Out Film Guide
Buy Blu-ray: Amazon.com
Cast and characters:
- Keith Gordon as Arnold “Arnie” Cunningham – Jaws 2
- John Stockwell as Dennis Guilder
- Alexandra Paul as Leigh Cabot
- Robert Prosky as Will Darnell
- Harry Dean Stanton as Detective Rudolph “Rudy” Junkins
- Christine Belford as Regina Cunningham
- Roberts Blossom as George LeBay
- Kelly Preston as Roseanne
- William Ostrander as Clarence “Buddy” Repperton
- Steven Tash as Richard “Richie” Trelawney
- Stuart Charno as Donald “Don” Vandenberg
- Malcolm Danare as Peter “Moochie” Welch
- David Spielberg as Mr. Casey
Christine was shot largely in Los Angeles, California, while the location for Darnell’s garage was located in Santa Clarita. Filming began in April 1983, merely days after Stephen King’s novel had been published.
Christine grossed $21 million at the US box office against a reported budget of $10 million.