Slither – stylized as SLiTHER – is a 2006 science fiction comedy horror film written and directed by James Gunn (making his directorial debut), and starring Nathan Fillion, Elizabeth Banks and Michael Rooker (The Belko Experiment; Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer; The Walking Dead).
Gunn was influenced by the wave of graphically violent horror movies of the late 1970s and 1980s, largely created by such directors as John Carpenter, Lloyd Kaufman, David Cronenberg and Stuart Gordon.
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director James Gunn And Actors Nathan Fillion And Michael Rooker
- The Genesis of Slither – An Interview with Writer/Director James Gunn
- The Other MacReady – An Interview with Actor Gregg Henry
- Audio Commentary With James Gunn and Nathan Fillion (From 2006)
- Deleted and Extended Scenes with Optional Commentary By James Gunn
- Visual Effects: Step By Step
- Slithery Set Tour With Actor Nathan Fillion
- The Sick Minds and Slimy Days of Slither
- Brewing The Blood – How To Make Blood
- Bringing Slither’s Creatures To Life
- Lloyd Kaufman’s Video Diary
- Gag Reel
- Who Is Bill Pardy? Featurette
- Theatrical Trailer
A meteor housing a malevolent alien parasite crashes into the town of Wheelsy, South Carolina. While frolicking in the woods with Brenda (Brenda James), local big shot car dealer Grant Grant (Rooker) is subsequently infected and killed by the parasite.
The parasite takes over his body and absorbs his consciousness and memories. With the alien (called “The Long One”) now in control of his body, ‘Grant’ begins to slowly change into a hideous tentacular slug-like monster.
No-one suspects Grant, however, his wife Starla (Banks) begins to question his health. He avoids doctors appointments and crafts lies to keep her in the dark.
Sensing her distance from her husband, her childhood crush, town sheriff Bill Pardy (Fillion), attempts to reassure and comfort her while not acting on his own feelings.
Grant infects the lonely and neglected Brenda with hundreds of his “offspring.” He secrets her in an isolated barn where she in turn becomes massively obese as baby alien slugs grow inside her.
Sheriff Bill Pardy leads a small group of officers on a hunt for Grant only to be lured into a trap where Brenda explodes releasing hundreds of the alien slugs. Most of Pardy’s group become infected, zombie-like creatures…
Reviews [click links to read more]:
“Those compelled by straight horror won’t be frightened, and those who enjoy their comedies without having to gag from disgust won’t be laughing. This movie is for those who can spot Gunn’s many visual and thematic references to the films that inspired him, who can grasp the irony of his characters, and who can appreciate his plentiful use of tangible makeup effects.” Deep Focus
“You may be tempted to read the victims’ insatiable hunger as a comment on America’s epidemic obesity; or you may be too busy laughing or vomiting to bother with such thematic niceties.” Time Out
“…Gunn underwrites the carnage with a parched sense of humour that provokes barking belly laughs to off-set the offal. A string of artfully delivered one-liners and deftly handled exchanges crackle through the script, the (quite intentional) comedy not only adding substance but hoisting Slither above its schlocky source material.” Empire Magazine
Cast and characters:
- Nathan Fillion as Bill Pardy
- Elizabeth Banks as Starla Grant
- Gregg Henry as Mayor Jack MacReady
- Michael Rooker as Grant Grant
- Tania Saulnier as Kylie Strutemyer
- Brenda James as Brenda Gutierrez
- Don Thompson as Wally Whale
- Jennifer Copping as Margaret Hooper
- Jenna Fischer as Shelby Cunningham
- Haig Sutherland as Trevor Carpenter
- Matreya Fedor as Emily Strutemyer
- Amber Lee Bartlett as Jenna Strutemyer
- Iris Quinn as Mrs. Strutemyer
- William MacDonald as Mr. Strutemyer
- Frank Welker as Alien Slugs [creature vocals] (Scooby-Doo; Python; Munchies)